Our 5th Grow your own grub Gold award.
In the Spring the children worked very hard tidying the garden and trying to keep down the weeds.
Planned projects for the Spring were:
installing new planters around the school as part of the Food for Life project,
sunflower growing competition,
work towards Level 4 and the Level 5 RHS Campaign for school gardens.
What we achieved:
woven panels were used as low fence structures in the fruit garden,
we achieved another Gold medal in the Grow-your-own Grub competition,
planters have been installed in each playground,
sunflowers were grown by our Year 5s,
Level 4 and Level 5 RHS Award was achieved.
In Autumn we harvested the sweetcorn that had been growing in the school garden all over the summer.
We were also busy drawing sweetcorn pictures to decorate the outdoor classroom.
How to make you own leaf mould:
- Rake and collect the leaves that have fallen from trees in the Autumn,
- Fill big plastic bags with all the leaves, making sure they are damp,
- Next, sit on the bags to compress the leaves,
- Load up all your bags into an enclosed area,
- Wait about 12 months
- Finally, spread it on your planting areas and let the earthworms pull it into your soil.
The Hedgehog Project
Mini clay hedgehogs.
The children made these to sell for 50p. We raised enough money to sponsor 7 rescued hedgehogs.
Pictures of our hedgehogs can be seen on this page.
Last winter our focus was the plight of the hedgehog.
Our aims were:
- raise awareness how to protect and support our hedgehog population,
- make the school garden hedgehog friendly,
- raise funds to sponsor a hedgehog for Dovelands school.
We created pictures, postcards, posters and clay models whilst learning about these lovely creatures.
We also achieved the RHS Level 5 Award also through completing this project.
Well done everyone.
Rocket Science Experiment
Transit of Mercury
Photographs taken by local astronomer Tim. Thanks to him for the loan of the telescope with solar filter and allowing us to publish photos.